When the “fat ball” trend started taking over our Instagram feed, we knew we HAD to get rolling (see what we did there?) with a recipe of our own! “What in the world is a fat ball,” you ask?! You might be thinking, this does not sound like something I should be eating! Well, fat balls (also known as fat bombs, protein bites, energy balls, etc.) are calorie-dense snacks, full of healthy fats. As long as you are mindful of portions, these bites are a v guilt-free indulgence.
These bites are easy to make, store, and transport, making them the perfect snack to take to work for that boost of energy during your afternoon slump, on a road trip, or whenever you may find yourself in a pinch. Our Chocolate Spice Macro Bites are also FREAKIN’ DELICIOUS, tbh. We wanted healthy fats in our original recipe, but we also wanted to pack them with protein, which lead us to “macro bites”. When thinking up the possibilities for a recipe like this, potential ingredients are seriously endless, you guys. (You guessed it—you can expect many more balls/bombs/bites recipes from us in the future!)
Hemp seeds—one of the many popular “new kids” of the health food world—were truly an MVP ingredient here. Hemp seeds are a great source of healthy fats, essential fatty acids and protein, while also containing high amounts of vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulfur, calcium, iron, and zinc. They are nutty in flavor, which compliments the almonds perfectly.
What are you waiting for!? Time to roll!
Chocolate Spice Macro Bites
- 5 tbsp coconut oil (when melted, will be just short of 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp ghee (when melted, will be almost 1/4 cup); we used Vanilla Bean Grass-Fed Ghee Butter by 4th & Heart—find it here.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 oz almonds (a little more than 1/2 cup)
- 3 pitted medjool dates
- 2 scoops (68g) chocolate protein powder—find our favorite (BPI Sports Best Protein Chocolate Brownie) here!
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- Place all dry ingredients in a food processor.
- Measure out the coconut oil and ghee in their natural states and melt them over low heat or in your microwave. Once melted, add both to food processor with dry ingredients.
- Process all ingredients on high until smooth and well-mixed.
- Roll batter into 14 balls (or however many you want—there are no rules here!) and place on cookie sheet. TIPS: You will have much more success with rolling if you slightly wet your hands. If not, the batter will stick to your hands, and it will be difficult to form a good ball. Don’t be alarmed if your wet hands make the ball look soapy or white when you’re rolling (protein powder reaction). Also, you may want to lightly spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray so balls are easier to remove once frozen.
- Freeze for at least fifteen minutes before enjoying!
I like to store these bites in the freezer for a couple of days. When I’m ready to enjoy one, I just let it sit out for about five minutes (whilst drooling, obvi). After, the texture and temperature make for the perfect snack experience!
Yield: 14 servings
Serving size: 1 macro bite
151 calories per serving • Fat: 12g • Carbohydrates: 5.4g • Protein: 5.7g
5 thoughts on “Chocolate Spice Macro Bites”