You guys are about to quickly find out how much we LOVE using vegetables as a vehicle for protein and/or as a substitute for traditional carbs. We’re starting with these sweet potatoes, stuffed with slow-cooked BBQ chicken and our lighter take on coleslaw. Can you tell we’ve got warmer weather on the brain?! Bring on the cookouts!
We learned to cook sweet potatoes this way from Primal Gourmet after making his Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (sooo good!), and we’ll never cook sweet potatoes any other way. They are ridiculously sweet and juicy (avoiding the m-word at all costs here), and they literally melt in your mouth!
You could easily use store-bought BBQ sauce for this, but we’re pretty excited that we were able to create a delicious, healthier version of BBQ sauce using ingredients we already had in our kitchens (and no refined sugars!). Making your own sauce always seems a little intimidating, but we’re sure you won’t mind the couple extra minutes of prep once you give this a try.
The Greek yogurt slaw is light and fresh, adding a nice crunch and tang to this sweet and savory dish. We used Kite Hill plain unsweetened Greek-style yogurt to make this recipe 100% dairy-free, but if your tummy is cool with dairy, feel free to go for regular non-fat Greek yogurt.
Hope you all enjoy this one! Stay tuned for more sweet potatoes of the “stuffed” variety, coming to the blog in the near future.
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes + Greek Yogurt Coleslaw
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 6 large sweet potatoes
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup; we used Annie’s organic ketchup, found here.
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp hot sauce
For the slaw:
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Wash sweet potatoes, wrap each in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour half of the sauce in the bottom of your slow cooker and place chicken on top. Top chicken with chopped onions and then pour remaining sauce overtop. Cook on low for 4 hours. After 4 hours, shred chicken, mix well with sauce and allow to cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- When chicken has about an hour left, place baking sheet with sweet potatoes on the bottom rack of your preheated oven and roast for 60 minutes.
- While potatoes roast and chicken finishes cooking, combine slaw ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Once potatoes and chicken are done, you’re ready to assemble. Remove sweet potatoes from foil and slice each down the center with a knife. Potatoes should be very soft and skin should peel back easily. Divide shredded chicken and slaw evenly among sweet potatoes.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 stuffed sweet potato
490 calories per serving • Fat: 5.7g • Carbohydrates: 70g • Protein: 38.5g
One thought on “Crockpot BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes + Greek Yogurt Coleslaw”