What better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than with a frittata full of fresh, seasonal vegetables!? Forget making that brunch reservation—our Spring Veggie Frittata with Arugula Hemp Pesto is the perfect breakfast to treat and impress your mom this Sunday!
We went out on a limb with the creation of this arugula hemp pesto, and we are SO glad we did. *insert drool here* A main ingredient in pesto is nuts—typically pine nuts. We love using hemp seeds whenever we can, as they’re full of health benefits, which we discuss here, and have a rich, nutty flavor, making for a perfect ingredient in this delectable success of a pesto. The fresh arugula and lemon flavors also really shine through in each bite. We’re not not referring to plain bites of the pesto… eaten by the forkful…
Spring Veggie Frittata with Arugula Hemp Pesto
- 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
For the arugula hemp pesto (makes 1 cup):
- 2 packed cups arugula
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- 2 tbsp grated pecorino romano (omit for paleo/Whole30)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place pesto ingredients in food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt ghee over medium-low heat in a large, cast iron skillet. When melted, add onions and caramelize, stirring frequently, about 10-15 minutes.
- While onions are cooking, boil a small pot of water. When boiling, place asparagus in water and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and drain. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking process and set aside.
- Combine eggs, egg whites, almond milk, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- When onions are caramelized, add tomatoes and asparagus to the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently until tomatoes are softened.
- Increase heat to medium. Pour eggs into skillet making sure all vegetables are covered. Cook for 3 minutes, or until edges begin to set.
- Move skillet to oven and cook for 15 minutes. When cooked thoroughly, remove from oven.
- Cut into 4 pieces and serve warm. Drizzle with arugula pesto, as desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 piece
148 calories per serving • Fat: 10.3g • Carbohydrates: 8g • Protein: 10.7g*
*Nutrition information does not include pesto drizzle.