For some, today is a sad day, as it’s the day we bid adieu to Nancy’s Chopped Salad from Sweetgreen’s menu. All good things must come to an end, dear readers. Is that saying really true? We digress… For us, today is exciting, because we get to share with you all how you can make this Nancy’s Chopped Salad inspired pasta salad at home whenever you damn well please!
I’m new to the world of chickpea/lentil pasta, and let me just say that it did not disappoint. For this recipe, we used Chickapea brand pasta spirals. Chickapea Pasta is made from two ingredients: organic chickpeas and organic red lentils. It’s gluten-free, vegan, organic, kosher and has 27 grams of protein per serving (that’s as much as a 3 oz serving of steak!). Goodbye, guilt; helloooo, pasta salad!
We knew we wanted to create a pasta salad recipe using chickpea pasta for the summertime, and since we’ve both been mildly obsessed with Nancy’s Chopped Salad lately, we thought it would be an epic combo. Guess what? We thought right. It’s refreshing, tangy, fresh and flavorful—everything you want in a pasta salad, tbh. This pasta salad is perfect for serving at a summer cookout, pool party, etc., and it also makes for a great, easy meal prep recipe. Best part? We bet no one will even realize it isn’t real pasta. Got eeeeeem.
Nancy’s Chopped Salad Inspired Chickpea Pasta Salad
- 8 oz chickpea pasta; we used Chickapea spirals, found here.
- 4 oz uncured salami, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup sweet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1/3 cup sharp provolone, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp pickled pepperoncini, thinly sliced
For the oregano vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp dried oregano (trust us)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water, then chill until cold.
- Meanwhile, add all vinaigrette ingredients except olive oil to a bowl, whisking to combine. Set aside.
- Once pasta is chilled, add salami, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, onion and peppers, and toss to combine.
- Slowly pour olive oil into vinaigrette mixture, while whisking simultaneously. Pour vinaigrette over pasta mixture and toss to evenly coat.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup pasta salad
388 calories per serving • Fat: 22.8g • Carbohydrates: 29.8g • Protein: 19.3g