Before diving mouth first into today’s delicious recipe, Hope and I have some exciting news to share! We recently teamed up with NativX—a website and app where locals and visitors alike can browse suggestions from local experts—to become their newest “Natives”! You can check out our story, read about some of our most embarrassing moments, and see a few of our top picks for food and fitness in Philly here. It was so tough for us to narrow down our top spots in Philly, and we’re already anxious to add more to our list. This partnership helps us continue to be thought of as Philly’s go-to resource for all things food and fitness—one of our many goals of creating Philly Fit Foodies. Onward and upward!
Now, on to the most important matter of business: this Cobb wedge salad situation. You’ve probably heard us say how much we love sharable plates. We made this salad over Memorial Day Weekend when—instead of cooking a traditional sit-down meal—we made a couple of shared plates and let people (and ourselves) help themselves. While this recipe is perfect for sharing, it could also easily be made for meal prep—maybe add some grilled chicken breast or shrimp for extra protein. Note to self: do that next week.
While this salad could be considered pretty basic, this dressing certainly cannot. It’s not uncommon to serve a creamy ranch or blue cheese dressing with Cobb salad (y tho?). Our blue cheese vinaigrette still delivers when it comes to creaminess via cheese, but it’s otherwise lighter, tangy-er (not a word) and more flavorful when compared to heavier salad dressings. We never thought we’d utter these words, but… you won’t even miss the ranch dressing.
Cobb Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into 6 wedges
- 4 eggs
- 6 oz bacon
- 1 pint assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
For the blue cheese vinaigrette:
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients besides oil and cheese in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Allow to cool slightly and crumble once cooled.
- Hard boil eggs by placing at the bottom of a saucepan and covering with at least an inch of water. Heat on high, bringing water to a boil. Once water is boiling, reduce or turn off heat, cover (keeping on warm burner) for 10-12 minutes. Remove eggs and run under cold water to cool. Once cooled, peel shells and slice thin.
- Assemble wedges, tomatoes, eggs, avocado and bacon as desired for serving.
- Slowly add oil to vinaigrette mixture, whisking simultaneously until emulsified. Add blue cheese and mix again until combined. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad as desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 wedge salad
488 calories per serving • Fat: 44.2g • Carbohydrates: 12.9g • Protein: 17.6g