Happy first day of summer, fam!! After a frigid winter and a dreary spring, we’re ready for some freakin’ HEAT. And nothing pairs better with a hot summer day than a fresh watermelon, cucumber + feta salad, amirite? We’ve decided to kick it up a notch and [literally] spice things up from the traditional watermelon salad we all know and love (while still keeping it simple, of course). AND we added avocado, because why the heck not? *cue the “guac is extra and so am I” meme*
Fun fact: This recipe was inspired by a delicious spicy watermelon margarita we once had. ❤
I want to talk about this honey apple cider vinaigrette situation for a minute. I know I’ve said this before, but I always assumed making sauces and dressings was super complicated. I know what they say about assuming, but I’m still shocked every time I realize how wrong I was. You can make the simplest, most DELISH sauces and dressings at home, usually from ingredients you already have in your kitchen. Mind = blown. This dressing is so easy to make, but it’s also the flavor glue that holds this salad together. #respect
We certainly know what we’ll be serving come July 4th this year. How about you?
Spicy Watermelon Salad with Honey Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/4 watermelon, cubed (or about 5 cups)
- 1 cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1 medium avocado, cubed
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the Honey Apple Cider Vinaigrette (makes about 1 cup):
- 1/4 cup ACV
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp honey
- juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place watermelon, cucumber, avocado and jalapeño in a bowl or serving dish and toss to combine. Top with feta crumbles.
- Place vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. Pour over salad as desired (you may have some extra dressing to enjoy later depending on personal preference).
Yield: 6 servings
205 calories per serving • Fat: 14.4g • Carbohydrates: 20g • Protein: 2.5g