Back at it again with the air fryer! We spent this past Sunday on the beach with a group of close friends to celebrate Hope’s birthday, and I’m headed to the beach with my family on Thursday for the weekend. Needless to say, we can’t get enough of the beach—or just pretending we’re there via delicious, summer eats!
If you have been following along with us for awhile, you know how much we ❤ the air fryer. Check out our Air Fryer Brussels Sprout Tacos and Air Fryer Buffalo Turkey Meatballs if you need further proof of our obsession. Yes, you could totally bake these (425°F for about 12 minutes, flipping halfway), but the air fryer achieves that deep fried texture like no oven truly can. Not entirely sure if there are any Amazon Prime Day deals on air fryers, but we’d encourage you to check, stat.
We were determined to avoid using any preserves or marmalades for the sauce for this recipe, in an effort to limit refined sugar and avoid high fructose corn syrup. What we discovered, was that we could create a killer sweet + heat sauce by blending fresh apricots and honey with sweet chili sauce (we used TJ’s). Simple as that. Whether your off to the beach this weekend, too, or stuck in the city, we hope you’ll enjoy these coconut shrimp!
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp + Apricot Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- extra-virgin olive oil spray
- 1/2 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1 apricot, diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- Combine chili sauce, diced apricot and honey in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and set aside or refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Set up your dredging station by placing coconut flour in a small bowl. Scramble eggs in another small bowl. Combine coconut, panko and salt in another bowl.
- One at a time, dip shrimp in flour, shaking off any excess, following by eggs and finally, coconut mixture. Repeat this until all shrimp are coated.
- Place half of the shrimp in the basket of your air fryer and lightly spray with EVOO spray. Cook for 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Repeat this step with the remaining shrimp. Serve with dipping sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 7-8 shrimp and about 2 tbsp sauce
305 calories per serving • Fat: 8g • Carbohydrates: 37.5g • Protein: 33g