Today is National Fajita Day (yes, there is a “national day” for literally everything), so you better believe we are celebrating accordingly! Did anyone else think fajitas were like, the coolest thing to order at a Mexican restaurant when they were younger because of the crazy sizzling sound they make as they announce their presence at the table? No? Just me? K.
I never would have imagined that I could make that crazy-cool dish from the comfort of my own kitchen. We’re on a constant mission to make dishes as easy and healthy as possible, which is exactly how these sheet pan fajita lettuce wraps came to fruition. Okay, so these don’t make the cool sizzling sound that restaurant-style fajitas make, but we promise you, they taste just as good!
We’re big fans of sheet pan meals because, well, obviously—less dishes to wash. Another thing we’re big fans of? Subbing Greek yogurt for sour cream! We’ve learned over the course of this little blogging venture that Greek yogurt is versatile AF. Swap it out for sour cream or mayo in almost any recipe and it tastes virtually THE SAME. Clearly still mind blown over here…
While we could have kept these fajita lettuce wraps basic, with just chicken, peppers and onions, we figured we might as well capitalize on summer while we still can. So, we invited zucchini and yellow squash to the party. Too much of a good thing when it comes to vegetables? Never. Happy celebrating!!
Sheet Pan Chicken + Veggie Fajita Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2″ strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 medium white onion, sliced thin
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/2″ rounds and halved
- 1 medium yellow squash, sliced into 1/2″ rounds and halved
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- juice from one lime (about 2 tbsp), separated
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Arrange peppers, onion and chicken on a large rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with spice mixture, then drizzle with olive oil. Toss everything until evenly coated with oil and spices.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add zucchini and squash, and toss to combine thoroughly.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine Greek yogurt and 1 tbsp lime juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove chicken and veggies from oven and drizzle with remaining tbsp of lime juice before assembling lettuce wraps.
- To assemble, divide fajita mixture among about 10 butter lettuce leaves. Top with sliced avocado, and drizzle with Greek yogurt mixture.
Yield: 5 servings
Serving Size: 2 lettuce wraps
246 calories per serving • Fat: 8.6g • Carbohydrates: 15.3g • Protein: 28.4g