If yesterday was Teriyaki Tuesday, then we’re officially declaring today Watermelon Wednesday (gotta love alliteration, amirite?).
A few weeks ago, we shared a picture of this salad on our Instagram page (for #NationalWatermelonDay, obvi), but we never shared the full recipe. So, here it is! This recipe was inspired by a salad I ate at Shenanigan’s Irish Pub and Grille in Ocean City, Maryland earlier this summer. Who would have expected such a light and simple salad from a place on the boardwalk at the beach with “pub” and “grille” in their name? Not this girl. But I loved every bite of that salad and continued to think about it well after arriving back home in Philly.
The salad itself is super simple—4 easy-to-find ingredients. It was the blood orange vinaigrette that really got me. If you’ve never tried anything involving blood orange, stop whatever you’re doing right and go find a blood orange margarita… or something. Blood oranges are more flavorful and bitter than a regular orange, but also with a hint of sweet, almost raspberry-like flavor. And when paired with the watermelon, arugula and goat cheese, it just WORKS (or, you could say #WERKS).
Watermelon Arugula Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 packed cups arugula
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed blood orange juice (from about 2 blood oranges)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients besides oil and whisk until smooth. Slowly add oil, while continuing to whisk, until thoroughly combined and emulsified.
- Evenly divide watermelon, arugula, goat cheese and almonds between two plates. Drizzle with vinaigrette, as desired.
Yield: 2 servings
Serving Size: 1 salad
328 calories per serving • Fat: 25g • Carbohydrates: 24.3g • Protein: 6.6g