Sushi is one of our all-time favorite #EEEEEATS, and the idea of making sushi always seems fun, yet somehow overwhelming. If you feel the same way, believe me when I say it is worth a try! Thanks to Amazon Prime, you can get your materials quickly and affordably. How did we go through life prior to this luxury? Taylor got this kit of essentials for $7… what a bargain! Once you have everything prepped, which really doesn’t take long, these rolls come together in seconds. They were super easy and as satisfying as your go-to roll at your favorite sushi joint.
Over the years, I’ve come to favor the “less-frills” sushi over the fancy specialty rolls. This veggie combo is simple, yet packed with complimentary sweet and savory flavors from some of our favorite, nutritious fruits and veggies. Your taste buds are guaranteed to think you’re on a roll! *wink wink*
Veggie Sushi with Air-Fried Sweet Potato
- 1/2 sweet potato, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 mango, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 avocado, sliced into matchsticks
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 Nori sheets
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- Mix rice wine vinegar with cooked brown rice until thoroughly combined and set aside.
- Toss sweet potato in arrowroot starch. Air fry for 8 minutes at 400º F, turning halfway through.
- Place 1 sheet of Nori on bamboo mat, shiny side down.
- Cover about 2/3 of Nori sheet with 1/2 cup rice. Get rice as close to the bottom and side edges as possible.
- Layer vegetable strips horizontally, starting at the bottom. Repeat until you’ve placed two matchsticks of each veggie on the rice.
- Lift up the edge of mat to roll ingredients into sushi roll. Bend back the mat as you continue to roll to completion. Slice into eight 1/2-inch pieces.
- Continue steps 3-6 with remaining Nori sheets until you have four rolls. Serve with reduced-sodium soy sauce, coconut aminos, pickled ginger and/or wasabi, as desired.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 roll
195 calories per serving • Fat: 3.7g • Carbohydrates: 33.1g • Protein: 4.4g