You know one of the many, many reasons that Friday is a great day? It’s perfect for date night. Whether it be with your SO, your roommate, a friend, or with a big glass of vino, it always feels great to sit down to a delicious, slightly indulgent meal after a long, hard week at work. And you know what I love most on these occasions? A big, juicy steak.
Humble brag comin’ in hot: we’ve pretty much mastered the art of the perfectly cooked filet, with a nice crust on the outside and a pink, medium-rare on the inside. Once you get the technique/timing down, it’s really simple. But what you pair with your perfectly cooked filet is just as important as nailing the preparation.
This combination of flavors—between the creamy, garlic-y mashed cauliflower, tangy balsamic glazed onions and nutty pistachio pesto—is unbeatable. This recipe even passed the boyfriend test (with flying colors, I might add.) And I quote: “These flavors are on POINT.”
This may be one of our more involved recipes, but trust us when we say it’s worth it. The satisfaction you’ll feel sitting down to this restaurant-quality meal knowing that you made it all happen will make this meal even more enjoyable. Sit back, relax and enjoy!
Cast Iron Filet with Garlic Mashed Cauliflower and Pistachio Pesto
- 2 6-ounce filets
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup chicken bone broth (or reduced sodium chicken broth)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 tsp ghee; we used Fourth & Heart Himalayan Pink Salt Ghee.
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the pistachio pesto (makes 1/2 cup):
- 1 packed cup basil
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, unsalted
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Season both sides of filets generously with salt and pepper, pressing down slightly so it adheres. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients for the pistachio pesto in a food processor. Process on high until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Set aside.
- Place cauliflower and chicken broth in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmering for 15 to 20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender. Drain cauliflower and place in a blender or food processor.
- In the same saucepan, melt ghee. Once ghee is melted, add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add garlic, parmesan, salt and pepper to steamed cauliflower. Blend or process on high until smooth. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp EVOO in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add red onion, stirring occasionally, until tender (about 5 minutes). Next, add maple syrup and balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Finally, heat 1 tbsp EVOO in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add filets. Cook for 4 minutes without touching, then flip filets over and put skillet in oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Place filets on a clean plate and tent with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 5-7 minutes before serving.
- Divide mashed cauliflower, pesto (you will have extra), steaks and onions between two plates to serve.
Note: For dairy free, omit parmesan cheese and swap olive oil for ghee.
Yield: 2 servings
728 calories per serving • Fat: 43.3g • Carbohydrates: 43g • Protein: 48.7g*Nutrition information does not include pistachio pesto.