Happy Tuesday! We hope everyone had an awesome weekend and a great Monday. We both had very relaxing and productive weekends (our fav) and knocked out a bunch of delicious new recipes to share with you all… starting with these twice baked sweet potatoes!
We love sweet potatoes for their nutrients, but also for their versatility. They can pull off sweet or savory, and they can be made into noodles, toast, eggs benedict, and more! For these twice baked potatoes, we went the savory route, by adding onions and kale.
It’s not uncommon for twice baked potatoes to involve cheese and/or sour cream. We’re swapping out the dairy here for some coconut cream (or coconut milk), which still gives these potatoes that creamy texture you know and love. This simple and delicious side dish is perfect for lunch, dinner or even meal prep. Enjoy!
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Kale
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped (about 3 cups packed)
- 1 tsp ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Wash sweet potatoes and pierce all over with a fork. Roast in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly until you can handle touching them.
- While sweet potatoes roast, heat ghee or oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Add kale and continue to cook until kale is wilted. Remove kale mixture from heat and place in a mixing bowl.
- Once slightly cooled, slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out insides of potatoes and place in mixing bowl with onion and kale, leaving about 1/4″ left in the sweet potato skin.
- Add coconut cream or milk to mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Mash mixture with a fork and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Divide filling evenly among six potato skins. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 twice baked sweet potato
119 calories per serving • Fat: 5g • Carbohydrates: 17.2g • Protein: 1.8g