Many different creative minds contributed to the production of this [am I talking about a commercial…?] Stromboli. You know what they say: teamwork makes the dream work!
As an idea, this recipe seemed like a big risk and potential flop. But obviously, we went for it anyway. Even when you’re putting this savage together and it looks like it’s all gonna crash and burn, trust the process. We were pleasantly blown away by the final product. And the macros… for a Stromboli?! Unheard of. Like, is Protein ‘Boli a thing?! ‘Cause we just made it one…
Anyway, Taylor and I were planning a Penn State football watch party—aka making our friends try all our new recipes—and I was bouncing ideas off of Bae for new recipe ideas. She said Stromboli, and I almost dismissed that idea, because I was instantly skeptical about how to put a healthy/light spin on it. Then, I thought of Gina’s (yeah, she’s the badass of @skinnytaste, and yes, I think we’re on a first name basis…) epic bagel recipe. So, we decided to use her bagel dough for this recipe, plus Bae’s traditional sausage and peppers idea, with a lightened up twist, and BAM—our oven birthed a legend.
My friend said this ‘boli was “a ten”. More than once. You know those people who you just feel like their compliments matter more than others? Yeah, she’s one of those. Mission accomplished.
Chicken Sausage + Peppers Stromboli
- 1 lb mild Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Add chicken sausage, breaking it up as it cooks, for about 8 minutes, until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Add flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt to a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine. Add Greek yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until evenly combined (should form small chunks).
- Sprinkle flour on a large flat surface and knead dough about 15 times, until tacky but not sticky. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a large oval until thin (about 1/8″).
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over 1/2 rolled out dough. Top cheese with chicken sausage mixture. Fold dough over and seal around edges, gently pushing dough together with your fingertips.
- Brush top with beaten egg whites, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until top is golden.
- Remove from oven, let cool, slice, and enjoy!
Yield: 4 servings
289 calories per serving • Fat: 5.5g • Carbohydrates: 29.6g • Protein: 29g