As you’re anxiously awaiting the approaching weekend, gear up for a cozy brunch in with our Fall Frittata! This frittata combines some of our favorite fall flavors and nutrients and will leave you going back for another slice! Brussels for breakfast!? You betcha’.
Fall Frittata with Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash, Bacon + Ricotta
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 8 oz bacon; we used Garrett Valley Sugar Free Dry Rubbed Uncured Pork Bacon.
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered (about 1/2 lb after trimmed and quartered)
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1/3 cup part skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- Cook bacon and crumble once slightly cooled. Here’s our favorite method: Place bacon on large rimmed baking sheet. Put baking sheet in cold oven, and preheat oven to 400°F. After about 20 minutes, remove bacon from oven.
- Toss Brussels sprouts and butternut squash in oil. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper, to taste. Roast at 400°F for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Add eggs, egg whites, almond milk, remaining salt, and pepper, to taste, to a medium mixing bowl, and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Melt ghee over medium-low heat in a large, cast iron skillet. When melted, add Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and bacon. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Increase heat to medium. Pour eggs into skillet, making sure all vegetables are covered. Cook for 3 minutes, or until edges begin to set.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until top looks set.
- Remove from oven and place dollops of cheese evenly throughout frittata.
- Return skillet to oven until cooked thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
- Adjust salt as needed and serve warm.
Yield: 6 servings
206 calories per serving • Fat: 11.4g • Carbohydrates: 12.6g • Protein: 14.5g