Back with another edition of AIR FRYER FRY-DAY! Let me just start by saying that if you’re looking to score major brownie points with your SO, this is the recipe to do it with, people! Assuming your SO loves fried foods and hot sauce as much as mine, that is…
I recently stumbled across these Birch Benders frozen protein toaster waffles at Mom’s Organic Market and was intrigued AF. I’m not normally a sweet breakfast kinda person, and I can’t tell you the last time I had a waffle, let along a frozen one (RIP to my Eggo Waffles days as a kid). But, since I’ve recently been looking for ways to increase my protein intake, I wanted to see what these waffles were all about. Two of these frozen waffles (a serving size) are 180 calories, 17g of carbs, and 11g of protein. For reference, two Eggo Homestyle Waffles are 180 calories, 27g of carbs and 4g of protein.
My experimentation with these waffles started out small—two waffles with a little ghee and pure maple syrup (YUM). Then, I progressed to adding a little sautéed cinnamon Granny Smith apple and crushed pecans. And then, this idea dawned on me. Air fryer chicken and waffles. I think I blew my own damn mind with this one.
After fantasizing about this creation for nearly a week, it finally came together one fateful Saturday, after a rare, glorious morning of sleeping in past 8 AM. This recipe is perfect for an at-home weekend brunch or lunch—especially when you’re craving a restaurant-quality meal. You’d never guess this recipe comes together in 20 minutes, TOPS! Bonus points if you make your own homemade waffles! (Show-off…) :p
Air Fryer Chicken and Waffles
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 lb), trimmed of fat
- 4 Birch Benders frozen protein toaster waffles (or whatever waffles you want!)
- 1/3 cup almond flour; we used Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Frank’s hot sauce
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- Combine almond flour, paprika, garlic powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Dredge chicken thighs first in egg, then in almond flour mixture, shaking off excess and setting aside on a plate as you go.
- Place chicken thighs in a single layer in the basket of your air fryer (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your air fryer). Lightly spray with EVOO spray.
- Air fry chicken at 400ºF for 16 minutes, or until cooked through, flipping halfway.
- Meanwhile, combine maple syrup and hot sauce, and prepare waffles according to package instructions.
- Layer chicken thighs on top of waffles, and divide syrup mixture between each.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 waffle + 1 chicken thigh + 1/4 sauce
335 calories per serving • Fat: 18.5g • Carbohydrates: 25.7g • Protein: 32.4g