Happy Thanksgiving Eve! If you just remembered you’re responsible for bringing the app tomorrow… have no fear. We’ve gotcha covered with these sweet + savory cheese balls.
I recently had dinner at The Love in Philly for the first time, and I can’t say enough good things about my experience. It was one of the best meals I’ve had in Philly, for sure. Shout out to the mushroom toast. Whoa. Anyway… the other, seemingly small, but bright star of the meal was the candied pecan blue cheese that was on their “Labor of Love” cheese plate. Recipe-inspiring good.
Candied pecans have always been popular around the holidays, so when thinking what recipes to create for the holidays, this one just made sense! Making our own candied pecans proved much simpler than anticipated—all you need is a little time!
Note: You will have tons of extra candied pecans from this recipe, if you use 16 ounces of pecan halves like we did. So, you can adjust the amount to fit your needs, or you can embrace the
holiday candied pecan spirit and enjoy the leftovers throughout the season–make a pie, throw them in salads, top muffins with them, add them to smoothie/yogurt bowls… the list goes on and on!
(P.S. For another recipe inspired by a dish at The Love, check out our Green Goddess Dip!)
Candied Pecan Crusted Blue Cheese Balls
- 16 oz pecan halves
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp liquid egg whites
- 1 tbsp water
- 8 oz soft blue cheese, we used Trader Joe’s Cambozola Triple Cream Soft Ripened Blue Cheese.
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 250ºF, and spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until combined thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large container with a lid (we used a Tupperware), add egg whites and water. Whisk until frothy.
- Add pecan halves to egg whites and water. Secure lid and shake until thoroughly combined.
- Add brown sugar mixture and secure lid. Shake pecans and sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spread prepped pecans evenly on baking sheet.
- Bake pecans for 1 hour, removing from oven and stirring every 15 minutes.
- While pecans are baking, roll cheese into small 1/2″ balls. You should have about 10 balls. Place in fridge.
- When pecans are done, remove from oven and allow to cool, about 10 minutes.
- Place 1/4 candied pecans into ziplock and smash into small pieces. Reserve remaining candied pecans for another use.
- Roll cheese balls in pecan mixture until coated, packing a thick layer of pecans around cheese, as if you’re rolling a meatball.
- Serve with fixings of your choice, and enjoy!
Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: 1 cheese ball
192 calories per serving • Fat: 17.1g • Carbohydrates: 6.9g • Protein: 4.4g