Last week, we were packin’ the protein. But this week, the name of the game is simple recipe, complex flavor! If you missed our Kimchi Cauliflower Rice yesterday, which screams this motto, get after it.
With the Super Bowl only a few days away, you may be perusing the interwebs looking for an app to wow your friends, without killing your healthy habits. Look. No. Further. These little toasts are a true delight! The subtle sweetness of the Japanese sweet potato + the mild tang of the tomatoes will score a touchdown with your tastebuds.
Japanese sweet potatoes have been the trendier potato as of late. Another day, another trend, amirite? But you know we’ll always be here for you with the #realnews. As with many other trends, Japanese sweet potatoes are not going to revolutionize your life (or are they??), but research proclaims several health benefits:
- Reduce risk of heart disease
- Help lower blood pressure
- Promote stronger bones
- Strengthen the immune system
- Increase energy levels
- Reduce constipation
- Great source of Vitamin A, C, and fiber
- Keep skin looking young
I honestly just liked the taste of the Japanese sweet potato better than a regular sweet potato, and definitely recommend putting in the effort to track one (or several) down and
Japanese Sweet Potato Toast Bruschetta
- 2 medium Japanese sweet potatoes, washed and sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 leaves basil, julienned
- 2 tsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place sweet potato rounds in a large mixing bowl with 2 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss until evenly coated.
- Arrange sweet potato rounds in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, remaining 2 tsp olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are done, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Divide bruschetta mixture evenly among sweet potato rounds and serve.
Serves 4-6*118 calories per serving • Fat: 3.4g • Carbohydrates: 17.1g • Protein: 2.7g *Nutrition facts based on 4 servings