Between CAVA opening in Philly and all the recent talk of our beloved copycat tehina shake recipe from Goldie Falafel, you could say we are feeling the Mediterranean vibes lately. And, as you all know, we’re always feeling the air fryer vibes. Especially on Fry-day!
We’re both huge fans of falafel, which are usually deep fried balls or patties of ground chickpeas, herbs and onion. We’ve always wanted to create our own falafel recipe, but it wasn’t until we got comfortable with our air fryers that we really felt confident we could pull this one off. Honestly, a big part of what makes falafel so freakin’ delicious is (sadly) the deep fried aspect.
Obviously, these air fried falafel aren’t quite as crispy and greasy as the traditional kind, but the flavors are spot on. And we’ve married them with a refreshing cucumber + tomato salad to add even more refreshing flavors and crunchy textures that compliment the falafel perfectly.
There are seriously a ton of possibilities for how you can enjoy these falafel (some ideas listed below, but we could go on forever!). In the spirit of our recent trip to try CAVA, we went with a build-your-own-bowl concept for our preparation. We served our falafel and cucumber tomato salad over a bed of mixed greens, with pickled red onion, a little fresh mint + dill, and our lemon tahini drizzle (originally from our Salmon Power Bowl recipe). If you want to add some heat, we’d recommend adding a little harissa to the situation. Any way you build it, it’s going to be delish!
P.S. If you’re in the market for an air fryer, you can find mine (which I LOVE) on our Products page. Beware: it’s large, but truly amazing.
Air Fryer Falafel with Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- olive oil spray
For the cucumber tomato salad:
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Additional topping ideas:
- tahini lemon drizzle (mix 1 tbsp tahini, 1 1/2 tbsp water, 1 tsp lemon juice)
- pickled red onion
- mint leaves
- crumbled feta
- Combine falafel ingredients in the bowl of your food processor. Process on high until evenly combined.
- Transfer falafel dough mixture to a mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator until chilled (about an hour).
- Meanwhile, place ingredients for cucumber tomato salad in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Set aside or chill until ready to serve.
- Once dough is chilled, roll the mixture into 16 evenly-sized patties.
- Spray your air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Arrange falafel in an evenly layer in basket (don’t overcrowd!). Spray tops of falafel lightly with oil spray.
- Air fry falafel at 380°F for 18 minutes, flipping halfway. Repeat this step, if needed, until all falafel are cooked.
- Serve falafel with cucumber tomato salad, over mixed greens, if desired, and with whatever additional toppings you like!
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 4 falafel + 1/4 cucumber tomato salad