Well, this recipe is either going to make you love us or hate us. Sorry not sorry! It definitely makes us love us…
Anyone who knew me in high school or college knows that McDonald’s Shamrock Shakes are somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine. I don’t enjoy them quite as much as I used to, as my taste preferences have changed over the years, but I always treat myself to one annual Shamrock Shake to keep the love and tradition alive.
Guess what?! We’ve officially recreated the Shamrock Shake to be much healthier and way more in line with our taste preferences! So much for that once-a-year tradition. I think it’s safe to say this will be a year-round occurrence in my kitchen.
The best part about our version of the Shamrock Shake? We included protein, so while it tastes a lot like dessert, it could also make a slammin’ post-workout smoothie. The more ice you add, the more it goes from a “milk”shake consistency to more of a smoothie consistency—you pick whichever texture you prefer!
Healthy Protein Shamrock Shake
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 banana, sliced and frozen
- 1/2 ripe avocado, peeled
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1 scoop (36g) vanilla protein powder; we used Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Organic Plant Based Vegan Protein Powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Continue to add ice and blend until desired consistency is reached.
Yield: 1 servings