You guys already know what day it is! With Mardi Gras coming up next week, we kicked the Cajun/Creole-inspired recipe brainstorming into high gear and came up with this easy + delicious air-fryer concoction! Just taking the “Fat” out of “Fat Tuesday” one recipe at a time. 😉
Fun fact: I worked at Five Guys Burgers & Fries in high school and over breaks throughout college. I used to eat Five Guys weekly… okay, daily… (ah, to have the metabolism of a 17-year-old again). While I don’t exactly frequent Five Guys these days, I still LOVE their Cajun fries. Yes, they are [double] deep fried in peanut oil. And I love them.
If you read our recipe for Japanese Sweet Potato Toast Bruschetta, you know we’re pretty in love with this variety of potato. The taste and texture is like 50% Russet potato and 50% sweet potato—truly the best of both worlds! To balance out the sweetness of the potato, we’re “kicking it up a notch” a la Emeril Lagasse with a spicy Cajun spice blend.
There’s really not much else to say about this recipe. Go get your Fry-day and Mardi Gras celebrations on!
Air Fryer Cajun Japanese Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium Japanese sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2″ thick fries
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- olive oil spray
- In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, olive oil, and spices. Toss until evenly coated.
- Lightly spray air fryer basket. Arrange fries in a single layer in basket (you may have to fry in batches).
- Air fry potatoes at 380°F for 15 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes.
- Season with additional salt, as needed, and serve with your dipping sauce of choice!
Yield: 2 servings