Fry-day… we missed you! Comin’ in hot with one of the most legendary + mouthwatering combos in existence: broccoli and cheddar.
It’s funny how Taylor and I know each other so well, yet through this journey, are still learning silly little food-related things about each other as we go along. For example, as a kid, I rarely ate out—fast food, sit down, etc. We enjoyed most of our dinners around the kitchen table, where if I drank my milk, I got dessert, and I learned to be a proud Clean Plate Club member… yikes.
Taylor, on the other hand, reports eating out most nights as a kid, which is where the inspo for these delicious bites came from! Based on something called “Dynabites” (fried broccoli cheddar bites), we bring you our healthier version, sans deep frying and unnecessary fats/processed ingredients. Our Air Fryer Broccoli Cheddar Bites are loaded with veggies, yet still deliver that enjoyable crunch, flavor, and cheesiness.
Let us know, what childhood guilty pleasures would you like to see us recreate?!
Air Fryer Broccoli Cheddar Bites
- 10 oz riced broccoli, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- cooking spray
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add riced broccoli, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Mix thoroughly and sauté about 5 minutes, or until broccoli is cooked.
- Remove from heat, and add cheese to the broccoli and onion mixture. Mix until cheese is melted and thoroughly incorporated.
- Roll mixture into approximately 15 balls, using your hands and a heaping tablespoon as a guide for size. Set aside.
- Prep dredging station by whisking egg in one bowl and placing breadcrumbs in another. Lightly spray air fryer basket with cooking spray.
- Dip each broccoli cheddar bite into egg, followed by breadcrumbs, and then place in prepared air fryer basket. Repeat until each bite is coated.
- Air fry the bites at 400°F for 8 minutes, turning halfway through.
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 3 bites