ICYMI: we’re newly obsessed with baked oatmeal. Exhibit A: our Spiced Pear Baked Oatmeal, which makes this recipe Exhibit B! You know we’re always looking for creative ways to sneak vegetables into our recipes, so when we first thought about how to add veggies to baked oatmeal, zucchini bread was our immediate inspiration.
We’re also always looking for ways to add extra protein to recipes! Whereas our spiced pear baked oatmeal uses vanilla protein, we opted to take the chocolate route for this recipe. Because zucchini + chocolate = heaven. Just add walnuts, and you have a serious trifecta of flavors + textures going on. Enjoy!
Chocolate Walnut Zucchini Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups rolled oats; we used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats.
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup chocolate protein powder; we used Garden Of Life Sport Organic Plant-Based Protein.
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- coconut oil or cooking spray
- optional: chocolate chips, extra walnuts
- 1 very ripe banana
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with coconut oil or cooking spray.
- Combine oats, protein powder, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, mash banana. Add remaining wet ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in shredded zucchini and walnuts.
- Add oat mixture to prepared baking dish, using a spatula to spread evenly. If desired, top with chocolate chips and/or extra walnuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Yield: 6 servings