Freezer-Friendly Chicken Chorizo Breakfast Burritos
Your meal prep prayers have been answered with these burritos, friends! Now, I’m really not one for a “fancy” breakfast during the week. And by fancy, I mean anything that involves more than me throwing back a quick protein source + fruit in the car on my way to work. But, these burritos are making me want to reevaluate my morning routine, or just eat them for lunch–they’re that good… and filling!
We’re not gonna sugar coat it, these burritos are a little labor-intensive compared to other meal prep options, like baked oats or egg muffins. But, trust us when we say they are worth every second. Put in a little extra work, and you’ll have breakfast/lunch for two weeks (hence, freezer-friendly) for one person, or a full work-week for two people!
Now, let’s get to the ingredients. Lately, I’ve fallen in love with Sprouts Market, here in Philly on South Broad Street. I have willingly ditched the convenient Acme right around the corner from my house to go to Sprouts each week. My first time there, their beautifully packaged chicken chorizo caught my eye, and I knew we had to find a use for it. This chorizo packs so much flavor [and protein] into these burritos. Paired with the pepper + onion flavors, you’ll be drooling as you reheat these burritos all ten times.
We picked low carb wraps for these beauties, but of course any tortilla/wrapping vehicle will work! We just can’t get over the nutrition facts here, though. One of our favorite things about whipping up healthy recipes is showing you that you don’t have to sacrifice your favorite foods to eat healthy. These burritos contain chorizo, hash browns, and cheese–some favorite breakfast “treats”, while not being a calorie bomb, and packing all the protein + nutrients. Big win.
- 10 tortillas; we used La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Flour Tortillas.
- 10 large eggs
- 1 lb chicken chorizo
- 1 lb frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz cheddar cheese
- olive oil spray
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl and scramble. Set aside.
- Cook hash brown potatoes according to package instructions. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken chorizo, breaking up as it cooks, until cooked through (about 5 minutes). Drain any excess oil, set aside, and wipe skillet clean.
- Spray large nonstick skillet again with cooking spray and add peppers and onion. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, to taste. Sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs to skillet, scrambling until fully cooked. Adjust salt and pepper as needed, to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave for about 10 seconds each, to aid in successful wrapping.
- Place each tortilla on a piece of foil.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup as a guide, layer each tortilla with 1/2 cup egg mixture, 1/4 cup chorizo, 1/4 cup hash browns, and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Starting at the bottom of the wrap, fold the bottom to cover the contents, and roll continuing to tuck in the sides as you go. When rolled, wrap the burrito in the foil, and store in the freezer/fridge based on when you plan to enjoy! (We recommend not cutting the burritos before storing them, so contents do not fall out.)
- To reheat from the fridge: remove burrito from foil and microwave for 30 seconds on each side. Cut burrito in half and return to microwave for an additional 30 seconds. To reheat from freezer: remove from foil and heat for 2-3 minutes, turning halfway through.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving size: 1 burrito