Raise your hand if you’ve ever taken a jar of Tostitos Queso to the face!? If your hand isn’t up, you’re a liar… but, moving on…
Really though, queso is just one of those dips that is to die for. But, if you’re grabbing it by the jar at the store, the ingredients surely can be questionable.
Since it’s such a treat, we knew our Cinco de Mayo celebration had to feature queso. This recipe is not one of our lighter recipes, so you might want to invite lots of friends over to help you devour it. However, the ingredients are trusty and the flavor is slammin’.
CAUTION: do not buy pre-grated cheese for this recipe! It is worth the work to grate yourself—pre-grated cheese has a coating on it that makes it melt imperfectly.
Salsa con Queso
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, finely diced
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 10 oz can Rotel original diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond milk and arrowroot starch. Set aside.
- Melt ghee in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour undrained tomatoes and almond milk mixture into saucepan. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil.
- Fold in the cheeses, bit by bit, until melted and fully combined.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.