As we’re in full summer mode here at PFF, today we’re bringing you the perfect poolside: Caprese Salad with Basil Pesto + Balsamic Glaze.
For whatever reason, pesto is one of those foods I always forget about/don’t seem to get excited about when out to eat or browsing recipes. (Am I allowed to say this as an 100% Italian!?…) However, this recipe made me have a newfound love for pesto and certainly put the perfect spin on a traditional Caprese.
When it comes to pesto, ya gotta go homemade or bust. The flavors are infinitely bolder and fresher than store bought + better ingredients, obviously. This pesto…tastes green, if ya know what I mean, and while getting out the food processor always seems like such a process (heh), you know it really only takes minutes and is totally worth it!
Our basil pesto recipe below will make about 1 scant cup pesto. So, you’ll have extra! What’s your favorite way to use pesto?
Caprese Salad with Basil Pesto + Balsamic Glaze
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mozzarella ball, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup basil pesto (recipe below)
- 2 cups packed arugula
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the pesto:
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup evoo
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place pesto ingredients in food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Spread arugula to cover a large serving dish.
- On top of arugula bed, arrange alternating tomato and mozzarella slices in rows.
- Salt and pepper tomato and mozzarella to taste.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze across tomato and mozzarella rows.
- Place 1/4 cup pesto in Ziploc bag. Cut the corner and squeeze out pesto to drizzle over tomato and mozzarella rows.
- Enjoy immediately!
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1/4 salad
252 calories per serving • Fat: 18.2g • Carbohydrates: 7.1g • Protein: 14.7g